Fire Hydrant Flow Testing in Perth
Routine hydrant flow testing is vital to ensure that, in the event of an emergency, your fire hydrant and fire hydrant system in Perth work as required by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) and as outlined in the Australian Standards (AS1851:2012). All fire hydrants (excluding in-ground street hydrants) require testing at 6 monthly and 12 monthly intervals with overhaul required every 5 years. Click here to find out more about routine fire hydrant and booster system servicing.
Annual – Fire hydrant flow testing
- Conducted annually as per AS1851:2012
- Static test is performed and recorder for compliance purposes.
- We then perform a flow test using a calibrated digital flow meter, both the flow and flow pressure (kPa) are recorder to ensure you are meeting minimum standard, DFES and/or design requirements. In the instance that your property has multiple fire hydrants, we carry this test out from the most hydraulically disadvantaged hydrant (this is the furthest hydrant from mains feed).
- A written report detailing static pressure (kPa), flow pressure (kPa) and water flow rate values in provided.
Street Hydrant – Fire hydrant flow testing
- Flow testing of a street hydrant is normally required to build baseline data and understand mains pressure in areas where new buildings and/or developments are taking place.
- Annual fire hydrant flow testing is conducted.
- A written report detailing static pressure (kPa), flow pressure (kPa) and water flow rate values from 5Lt/s up to 20Lt/s is provided.
5 yearly – Fire hydrant valve overhaul
- Replacement, rebuild and/or maintenance of the valves, rubbers and springs located in the landing valve of the fire hydrant.
- We also re-paint the hydrant stand pipe and landing valve (external hydrants only) so that your hydrants not only operate as new, they look it too.
5 yearly – Fire hydrant hydrostatic test (boosted system)
- Hydrostatic testing is only required when the hydraulic system includes a fire hydrant booster set.
- This test is performed by our specialist fire plumbers, and only after 5 yearly valve overhauls have been completed to the hydrants within the system.
- We then perform an annual boosted fire hydrant flow test (5 yearly basis) on the system to confirm its compliance with the system design and Australian Standards.
Commissioning & 5 yearly – Fire hydrant boosted flow test (boosted system)
- You no longer need to engage in DFES to complete a boosted flow test!
- This flow test is required on a 5 yearly basis and prior to hand over of a hydraulic fire system within a new development or building. This testing is completed by qualified industry professionals.
- We perform a boosted flow test, in accordance with Australian Standards, of the hydrant system to ensure it meets the minimum design requirements outlined by the Fire Engineer. Depending on the size of the development/building this could require 3 to 4 hydrants flowing simultaneously at a pressure identified by the Fire Engineer. Please note, this test can only be done after the system has been hydrostatically tested.
- On completion of the test we provide a detailed report outlining the system performance, pressure (kPa), flow rates (Lt/s) and compliance with DFES, the Australian Standards and the design requirements outlined by the Fire Engineer.
Contact us for a quote or to book in your next fire hydrant flow test.